Sunday 21 July 2024

Monday 15th July 2024

 

Woke before 0750 alarm. Hauled myself out of bed and made tea. Porridged. Last minute chores and packing. Set off for St Pancras…walked to Finsbury Park hauling my luggage behind me, and caught a Victoria line train. Got to St Pancras with half an hour to spare. Sat and had a coffee in Costa next to Platform 1…from whence I caught the Express to Luton Airport Parkway. Got to Luton at around 1035 and made my way via shuttle to the airport terminal. Quite busy. Got through security, though my bag got diverted to the inspectorate…the guy swabbed my mobile phone for some reason. Bought a sandwich in W H Smith and then walked to Gate 28 and sat and ate it. The flight was full. Took off about 1245, a little behind schedule. Sat next to two young ladies, but they were intent on their mobile phones, or sleeping, so didn’t chat. Landed at Lisbon aeroporto at 1530 and made my way slowly to passport control, and eventually found my way to the Metro station. Bought a 24hour Metro and bus ticket and headed for Restauradores in the city centre…took about half an hour, including a busy line interchange at Sao Sebastiao…had hit rush hour. Came up onto Praca de Restauradores, and joined the queue for the Ascensor da Gloria, an ancient funicular that took me up to the Biarro Alto and a short walk to my accommodation, opposite the Miradouro Sao Pedro. Check in took some time…they had confused another guest name with mine, so when the (trainee) receptionist opened the door to what she thought my room, it was already occupied. 
Had to sit on a chair on the landing while she enlisted the assistance of her superiors, and I was eventually ushered into room 203. It looked a little smaller than the other room, but there was an ensuite shower room, and a comfortable looking double bed. 

The window looked out over the Miradouro opposite, and the busy Rua de Sao Pedro de Alcantara, on the No.24 tram route into the city centre. Got settled in then wandered up toward the park at Principe Real and had a beer at one of the little stalls there, then headed back. The pavements are a mosaic of small limestone blocks, which have been highly polished by decades of foot traffic...as I came down the hill toward the Miradouro, my legs went from under me, and I landed heavily on my bottom. A shooting pain went through my left arm, as it took the force of the impact, and I sat there for 45 seconds recovering...a couple on a scooter stopped and asked if I was OK...bruised but unbowed, and went on my way. Ambled through the Biarro Alto. A maze of narrow medieval streets, with pavement cafes and restaurants. Ate at a little Italian restaurant, Limoncello, which, though small, was nicely appointed inside. The food was OK...I enjoyed the egg soup, and the mushroom risotto, though the latter was a bit soupy. Ambled down to the Baixa area, and stumbled across an open air stage and seating in a square in front of an imposing looking theatre building...I made enquiries, and was told there'd be a free concert tomorrow evening at 2200...part of an annual music festival. Walked back up the hill to the hostel, showered and fell into bed...

No comments: