Saturday 27 April 2024

Friday 26th April 2024

Aki up with alarm at 0730 to ready herself for Rowing Club. I got up at 0830. Porridged, and slung a packed lunch together before setting off for Wandsworth in the car. The traffic was dreadful...very slow getting down through Earls Court especially. It was midday by the time I parked up near St Philip Street. Wandered across to the cafe on Lavender Hill and brought a coffee back to drink in the car while I ate an early lunch. Wandered up St Philip Street knocking on doors, then into Broughton Street...the woman at No.29 evidently needed a new kitchen, but explained that she hadn't been on top of things recently, especially since her grandson was "found in the river"...I assumed she meant the Thames, and I was reminded of the opening chapter of "Our Mutual Friend", but on enquiring, she said it had been in the Tees!!! No-one seems entirely sure what happened, and she and her family have been pressing the police to make further enquiries. I wished her good luck, and returned to knocking on doors in St Philip Street, after which I climbed back into the car and mopped up some external inspections in Tooting, Earlsfield, and Camberwell before heading for home. Got in around 1845. Aki had cooked a tasty Goan fish curry for dinner. Watched a bit of telly...Rageh Omaar seemed to be having some trouble reading the Ten O'Clock News, and it reminded me of Robert Dougall appearing slightly inebriated on the BBC many years ago...

No comments: