Friday 6 October 2023

Monday 2nd October 2023

Woke around 0800. Got up and porridged. Warmed up some soup for my packed lunch, and packed an overnight bag. Set off at 0930 for a couple of inspections in Islington, before pointing the car toward the south-east. Stopped for petrol in Charlton, and bought some lunch items in M&S, then headed down the A20 to hook up with the M25. Had several stops in Tunbridge Wells...ate my lunch in the car, parked up near some greensward in Rusthall, then headed for Goudhurst, and Cranbrook. 

Deal was my last port of call, then I made for Broadstairs, where I'd booked a B&B for the night. Got there around 1730. Artfuls is a small boutique guest house very near the sea front, and just around the corner from the Dickens Museum. Sadly, it's not open tomorrow, so I had to make do with a photo...it was the residence of a Miss Strong, who Dickens would visit on his stays in Broadstairs, and she became the inspiration for Betsey Trotwood, having a propensity for shoo-ing horse and donkey riders off her front lawn at regular intervals. I walked along the front, and made my way down to the Tartar Frigate, where I dined in the upstairs restaurant, with a view across the bay. I then found myself outside the little cinema, and realised the evening showing was just about to start, so bought a ticket and sat in the stalls to watch Ken Loach's new film, "The Old Oak". It was a tale set in the depressed Durham mining village of Easington, which was now playing host to traumatised Syrian refugees…the script was rather lumpen, but as ever, Ken’s heart is the right place, as we see the publican of the I’ll used Old Oak public house come to the defence of the refugees as they battle for acceptance in the community…there were a few tissues to be espied as the final credits rolled…walked back to my digs and ran a bath.

No comments: