Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Tuesday 25th August 2026

Woke around 0730. Sat up and read a little before nodding back off for a bit. Got up around 0845 and descended for breakfast in the dining room...no sign of ma and pa. They eventually materialised. I took a walk down to The Broadway. Coffee at Number 9, and read some Murakami, before shopping for orange juice in the Co-op and walking back to High View. Put lunch together. Dad insistent that he cut back some of the foliage around the house, in order to create a fire break! He's become obsessed with the notion that his house could go up in smoke in the hot weather...despite my pointing out that there probably wouldn't be any more hot weather this side of June 2027! However, his efforts with the trimmer were cut short when he managed to electrocute himself...he'd evidently cut through the cable at some point in the ancient past, and had cobbled together a repair that exposed the wiring. He wanted to wrap it in electrical tape...so I drove down to the village to buy a proper junction box to cover everything up with. Warmed up some of the bolognese sauce I'd made yesterday for dinner...with papardelle and vegetables. Plum crumble for afters. Spent half-an-hour looking over the refreshed quotes for the roofing works. It looks as though Aki and I are going to have to fork out about £18,000!!! All very depressing!


No comments: