Friday, 14 August 2026

Thursday 13th August 2026

Woke around 0700...dozed on until 0900-ish. Got up and took my blood pressure readings before porridging. Aki cycled off to Fairbridge Road to deliver Helen's birthday card, picking up some milk on her way back. I popped out in search of focaccia to serve to our guests this evening. They didn't serve it in Pierre Alix, so I had a latte there, then walked down to Harvest on Highbury Corner, and got some there. Took a bus back to Holloway and got some odds and ends in Waitrose. Temperatures getting up by the time I walked back home...38C recorded today in Kew! Put a ham salad lunch together. Did some food prep ahead of this evening. Needed a lie down in the afternoon, as my right hip and bad hernia repair giving me much gip. News of a major train derailment outside Lewes...we were on that line a week ago! There were definitely some stretches where the train got shaken about a bit, and I fleetingly imagined us coming off the rails!  Guests arrived around 1900. George and Katherine from No.127, and Brett Rodgers OBE from No.7. Served up gazpacho for starters, followed by a chicken, avocado and mango salad. Brett had made an orange polenta cake, which we had with ice cream for dessert. Pleasant evening...though went to bed exhausted!

No comments: