Friday 15 September 2023

Friday 15th September 2023

Alarm at 0545. Had to get up to mix another litre of solution prior to my colonoscopy appointment this afternoon. Sat on the sofa reading "Pickwick", then did a couple of hours work at the computer. Watched Aki enjoy her porridge. I'm not allowed solids until after the procedure, so prepared a packed 'lunch' to gorge upon at the hospital later this afternoon. Aki drove me to the Whittington so I could show her where to pick me up from later. Got to Outpatients on time, but had to wait almost an hour before being ushered into the nurse's office for some tests and form filling. Then I was shown the male changing rooms, and given a huge pair of black paper pants to don, underneath a couple of surgical gowns. The endoscopist introduced himself...he seemed to be in a bit of a hurry, maybe trying to catch up after the morning session. He warned that there were small chances of things going awry, such as an accidental perforation of the lower intestine...I shut my eyes and signed the consent form! The procedure lasted about 30 minutes, and I was able to watch as the camera floated through my other-worldly netherworld...a couple of polyps were discovered and hastily removed, tiny metal clips being put in place to stem the bleeding, and the offending articles despatched to the lab for testing. All seemed to go well, and I was walked through to the recovery area and given a tea. Ate my packed lunch, and waited for Aki to turn up, which she duly did, and I made good my escape. Aki cooked a gammon joint for dinner, which we ate with potatoes, vegetables, and a mustard sauce. Caught up with "Better Call Saul" before shower and bed...

No comments: