Monday 18 December 2023

Tuesday 12th December 2023

 

Rude awakening this morning. My phone rang several times…as I didn’t recognise the number I turned over and went back to sleep. Then I discerned the doorbell. As we weren’t expecting a delivery, we ignored it, but then the phone rang again and I began to twig…but I was a bit surprised to hear the operative ask me if I’d phoned for an ambulance! I replied in the negative, but was informed there was a crew outside my front door! Got up and got dressed. Opened the door to find three blokes in green uniforms standing in the hallway!!! It seems my not picking up the phone last night triggers an emergency visit....albeit some 12 hours later! Not sure there's much logic in this notion...anyhow, the lads were very nice, nodded their understanding and departed with a backward wave, having declined the offer of a cuppa tea. Had ourselves some porridge for breakfast, then ventured out to run some errands. Treated ourselves to a coffee at the Green Room Cafe, then parted company as I walked southward down the Holloway Road to the Central Library, and Aki nipped home to drop some stuff off before coming to find me. Unable to locate a copy of "Measure For Measure", so put in a reservation request. Aki met me at the Library from whence we jumped on a bus to Essex Road to visit the fishmonger...bought some salmon to cure for Friday night's starter. Walked back home via Waitrose.

Drove over to Springfield Park and the Rowing Club early evening, as Aki wanted to help set up for the Rowing Club Xmas bash. We were booked to provide some entertainment, so had brought our ukuleles. There was a decent turnout of about 30 of us altogether, including George from No.127. We were introduced to a young French lad, who had brought his cornet, intending to join in our repertoire. I managed to persuade him to go solo on a couple of numbers instead, as we weren't going to be singing from the same hymn book, so to speak. The dinner was good...really enjoyed the parsnip soup to start, and the roast turkey and trimmings was tasty, if somewhat lukewarm. I had the xmas pud for afters. I had persuaded our cornet played to kick things off, hiding him around the corner in the bar area from whence he was to deliver "Xmas Tree, Oh Xmas Tree". I hadn't realised just how bad he was... a complete beginner...and as I trotted out front to begin proceedings, I was greeted with not so much a festive tune, as a bunch of loud farting noises! It seemed to produce a wave of suppressed hysterics from the gathered throng! We managed to get through the sing-a-long in one piece, and were greeted with enthusiastic applause at the end. Aki helped pack up and we gave Stephanie, who'd organised the evening, a lift back to De Beauvoir before we turned for home. 




No comments: