Thursday 9 February 2023

Wednesday 8th February 2023

Woke around 0800. Got up and got ourselves presentable before going down for breakfast. Aki had a continental breakfast, I had the full English. Filled our water bottles and went back upstairs to pack our bags. Checked out just before 1000 and walked up Duke Street to the multi-storey car park. Aki decided to come with me rather than idle away her day in Norwich, which would have meant finding a bus to take her to Reepham this afternoon. Drove north-eastward out of the city, before turning westward, and taking in a few villages before getting to Reepham in time for lunch. I parked up outside The Dial House, where we are due to stay tonight, but it didn't appear open for lunch. Walked up Station Road and found the Station Cafe, situated on the long-disused platform of Reepham railway station. It was packed. Had our lunch. I left Aki to explore the gift shop, and walked back to the car. Aimed for Foulsham, but the road was closed. I followed the diversion signs, but they took me further and further away from my destination. Ended up in Cawston, where there were properties to look at, and finished up in Aylsham, before turning back toward Reepham. Aki had managed to get into our room. The hotel is a boutique affair in a building dated 1728. There is a large sundial on the front of the building, but whether it was there when the property was built, we don't know. Very quirky building. We are in the Print Room, the yellow painted walls covered in framed Georgian era prints. I uploaded my photos onto my laptop, and watched the News, before descending for dinner. I went with smoked haddock, leek and potato soup, with a poached egg, followed by chicken in a mushroom and truffle sauce, with grilled hispi cabbage on the side, and hazelnut creme brulee with banana ice cream for afters. Pleasant, chatty couple in the dining room...they are staying for a week while work is done on their house! Got back to the room in time to catch the second half of the Sunderland v Fulham FA Cup replay...we played really well, and Jack Clarke stuck in a superb equaliser, but we went down to two late goals. 

No comments: